Tuesday, August 29, 2006

John Moran

In the New York Times today There is an article about the composer / (choreographer) John Moran and his latest opera Zenith 5. Philip Glass said "I am convinced that there is no more important composer working today, than John Moran. His works have been so advanced as to be considered revolutionary." Moran is often see as a protégé of this composer.

Maybe I am showing my stupidity here, but I really haven't heard of John Moran until now. I went to Amazon to hear fragments from The Manson Family: An Opera, with Iggy Pop as the Prosecutor. He seems to work with taped and found sounds, as well as music instruments, which he then organizes into musical patterns. The result is a wild mix of styles, from chaotic traffic noises and birds to soft piano patterns underlayed with quiet noise.

I shall order this CD and check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home