Friday, January 11, 2008

Sci Fi

I was just reading about science fiction operas over at Kyle Gann's PostClassic blog. The opera he discusses (Aniera) by Blomdahl is quite engaging - it's obviously 12 tone, but kind of like a gentle Wozzeck in space.

It made me think, I wonder how many science fiction operas there are? Besides this one, I can think of:

Philip Glass 1,000 Airplanes on the Roof
Tim Risher The Moon Moth (well of course I'm going to list my own piece)

There is a list in Wikipedia, but you can go there yourself and see if they are all correct. I wonder when the first Doctor Who opera will appear?

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Devine said...

Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa contains science fictional elements (um, among other things).

An sf rock opera was performed at FSU's Ruby Diamond auditorium in the later 80s. I forgot what it was called, I got there in time to watch two minutes of the last song. Silver togas, tv hat (like tobor), and electric guitars.

Hey, you forgot Valis! (I can't believe you forgot Valis!)

Does Einstein on the Beach count? If it does, then I can't believe you forgot that one either, but if it doesn't then you have to ignore this entire paragraph.

The first Doctor Who opera will appear on May 9, 2014. It will be in Italian, of course, and will feature full frontal nudity, robotic extras, holographic special effects, and horrific levels of gore and violence (finally!). It will star Johnny Depp as a washed up alcoholic Doctor Who, disgusted with what slavish know-nothing fandom has done to sf and society in general. It will suck, and close in its first month.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home